Caregiver Ski and Ride Class
In the spring of 2015, Ignite Adaptive Sports offered the first our first time ever clinic for parents and caregivers of children with cognitive/developmental disabilities interested in skiing and riding together as a family. Based on feedback we received after that class, we are going for a repeat performance.
Make sure you sign up soon as the available slots will fill up fast.
“The students in the class happened to be three guys, which was a good thing in a sense. If I can ski down and maintain control with a 180 pound guy, I should be able to control the speed of my seven year old girl.” -Bob, father of an Ignite Adaptive Sports Student
- Your Abilities: A review of your skiing abilities as it relates to adaptive requirements.
- Terrain: How terrain choice can affect a positive experience for your child.
- Lifts: A review of lift loading and unloading procedures.
- Boundaries: Ski down or call Ski Patrol?
- Equipment: Explore adaptive equipment options.
- Safety: Learn about safety concerns at ski resorts.
- Activities: How to have a great day with your child on the hill.
This clinic will be led by two Ignite instructors with over 30 years of adaptive instruction.
Jacque Carbone has been with Ignite for over 30 years and holds a PSIA Adaptive Certification Level II. Jacque is also a registered nurse and has raised her own adaptive skiing family.
Keith Jimmerson, started instructing adaptive skiing in 1980 with cross country skiers. He guided one blind racer in the 1984 Paralympics in Innsbruck, Austria. This is Keith’s sixth year with Ignite instructing alpine and cross country skiing. He is a PSIA level one alpine certified ski instructor and has instructed parents with their children in cross country skiing and have seen such joy in their parents eyes that they can now take their own kids out skiing. Keith was one of the instructors in last year’s clinic and observed the same joy in both students and caregivers.
Additional individualized guidance will be provided by other members of Ignite senior staff.
- Does not include lift ticket.
Lift tickets will need to be purchased at the Eldora Mountain Resort ticket office.
- Sunday, January 24th, 2016
- 9:30 AM to 3:00 PM
- Ignite World Headquarters at Eldora Mountain Resort
- The clinic is limited to 10 participants
To register please send an email to Scheduler@IgniteAdaptiveSports.org.
We look forward to helping your family be independent on the mountain.